Wire Industry Applications
|Download PDF version|
Applications within the wire industry call for materials with both good wear resistance and good surface properties, such that the quality of the drawn product is not compromised by contact with dies, cones or pulleys etc.
Zirconia cones and guides have been available for many years and have operated with a high degree of success. The revolutionary new Technox advanced ceramic surpasses all previously available grades in the following areas:
Comparative tests by wire manufacturers have shown that Technox® guides and rolls can outlast a conventional high speed steel by a factor of >20. Depending on the shape and complexity of the part the price penalty is rarely more than a factor of 4. Consequently the cost benefit analysis is very favourable even without taking account of the cost of machine downtime. Several customers have measured lifetimes in terms of years, not weeks.
Technox® ceramics are up to 5 times stronger than conventional alumina and zirconia grades. They display bending strengths similar to the yield strength of low alloy steels.
With a sub micron grain size and near-zero porosity, Technox materials can be finished to display the highest degrees of surface finish, polish and precision. Surface roughness values less than 0.05 mm Ra are attainable. The highly polished surface finish achievable with Technox® zirconia eliminates scratching and marring of wire, producing better quality wire and giving increased die life. The use of Technox® zirconia in place of more traditional materials also reduces the level of friction on the wire being drawn, and hence, fewer metal fines are generated which contaminate the drawing lubricant
Unlike the brittle behaviour displayed by conventional alumina materials, Technox® advanced ceramics can withstand severe impacts and mechanical shocks. Their “Transformation Toughening” ability means Technox® can absorb the energy of impacts that would cause most other ceramic materials to shatter.
In acid or alkali mediums, Technox® ceramics display excellent resistance to the most hazardous of environments.
Technox zirconia has good thermal characteristics which provide resistance to thermal shock cracking. With a coefficient of thermal expansion similar to steel, Technox and steel composite designs can be used over a wide range of thermal conditions.
Advantages of Technox®
- Minimise possible damage to the wire surface during drawing.
- Assurance of wire surface quality due to the improved sliding characteristics of ceramic materials.
- Improved production reliability, especially for thin wires, due to the reduced adhesion between wire and pulley.
- Reduced abrasion leading to improved product quality and increased tool and die life.
- Silicon Carbide
- Silicon Nitride
- Machineable Ceramics
- Canning Industry Applications
- Hanger Bearing Applications
- Technox 3000 Welding Location Pins
- Grinding Media
- Wire Industry Applications
- Tube Industry Applications
- Manufacturing Routes
- Extrusion Dies – Technox 500
- Cutting Edges
- Oil Refinery Applications
- Pump & Valve Wear Behaviour
- Solid Handling Wear Parts
- Laser Marking and Machining Services